Thursday, February 4, 2010

Does anyone care about our fundamental rights??

I have not written in a while and I thought what better time to write than now, especially about a topic that I feel very strongly for.

I think in one of my previous blog entries I had written about how the logic of states being divided based on the language that they speak is so flawed; And how Mumbai is now being ruled by two political parties striving to make political ground - one is an ailing horse and the other is a new party floated by the estranged brother.

This entire row over Shahrukh’s remarks that he would have liked Pakistani players in his team has got Shiv sena to go bonkers. What is the big deal in the statement I say! He owns a cricket team and he is well within his rights to say what he said. Suddenly he is being termed a Pakistani and threats are being issued that either he apologise or they (shiv sena) will not let his movie release in Mumbai. So much melodrama over what?? This is insane. And this is against the very basic rights guaranteed to us in our constitution. The freedom of speech and expression is our fundamental right. And what sena is doing is hooliganism. For want of better issues, they are picking on everything that they can. And I haven’t heard even one govt. official saying that they will ensure that Shahrukh’s movie releases peacefully and people are able to watch it. This is not about shahrukh. It is about you and me. Our fundamental right. If the state doesn’t protect us, who will?

Today, more than ever, we need a politician who will stand up. Who will say that he will uphold our basic fundamental right and come what may, he will not let Shiv Sena or the Mental sena (MNS) to crush our most basics of rights. Today India is looked upon across the world as a country which is progressing by leaps and bounds. And this situation in Mumbai is so regressive!! Why are we giving in to the threats by these guys. Who are they? There are a handful of them and all it will take is one good lesson to get them to shut up.

But I fear after all, politics will rule. And no one will stand up for our fundamental right. Because frankly they don’t care. All they care about is alliances and vote banks. And as long as they get that, let the fundamental rights be dammed. I eagerly await tomorrow, and I hope I am proved wrong.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Bday!

Gup-shup dukaan said...

Thank you!

Gup-shup dukaan said...

Thank you! Sorry, I have logged in to the blog after ages...

moving and relocation said...

Hi you are doing a great job. I was looking for this information. I found it on your page its really amazing.I am sure that these are your own views. I hear exactly what you’re saying and I’m so happy that I came across your blog. You really know what you’re talking about, and you made me feel like I should learn more about this. Thanks for sharing useful information; I’m officially a huge fan of your blog.