Tuesday, January 13, 2009

the 30's syndrome

Its that time of the year again when we wish all and sundry Happy New year. So hey, Happy New year! I hope you have made your resolutions and have broken them too :) I have!

Well, its been an eventful year so far. I will spare you the details. But I must admit there is one thing about this year thats bothering me. I will turn 29 this year! Its just a year lesser than 30. 30!! I have always been very wary of that number. I have never wanted to turn 30. I mean I have always teased my friends who are 30 or above. In a year, they would be able to tease me too. I am already hating it. I would be soon on the other-side of 30's. Sounds appalling actually. You know, just today I was having a conversation with a friend who I have recently come to know and she thought I was 25. I took it as a compliment. Fact remains though that I am not 25. And 30 sounds old. Really old. At least to a 28 year old. I have always told myself I can experiment with everything because I am not 30 yet. Guess I won't be able to say that to myself,in about a year. Worse still, I am no more "young and rising". Old and rising sounds horrible!!! I wonder how it is to be in your 30's. What changes in one's life. A few things that I can think of - may be the calendar would show more visits to a doc, growing belly?, even lesser sports, worry to settle down sooner, you can now safely tell the college kid - dude I have been there and I have done that and lastly you cant use the word dude anymore.
Anyways, the upside is, I am NOT turning 30. I still have a year to do all the things that I can't supposedly do in my 30's (eeeeks). So I just have one thing to say - I am turning 29. So what!! I say bring it on boy!!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Dont kill yourself with that number 30, its just a number. Catch hold of a tout and get a fake birth certificate of 1982 or something. If that can save u from worrying and blogging (and me from commenting) it is more a bang for your buck than a rejuvenating vacation to a paradise location.

You are a madu from Rajasthan; belly means prosperity man. Every madu worth his salt ought to have it asap irrespective of the age :D

Sooner the better.

Gup-shup dukaan said...

Thanks Tarun. I already feel better :)

Anonymous said...

Dang...That means I can't be mean and call you old cos it hurts?? shucks! My inspiration to getting through 24 and hititng the big 25 gracefully is Sex and the city. Also, my best friend always has a cool way of looking at life that his optimism rubs off on me and I feel much better!

Anonymous said...

16th Feb, right?

Gup-shup dukaan said...

Yes, 16th Feb it is.

Anonymous said...

so what plans dude? If 'dude' would be right word while addressing this syndrome!

Gup-shup dukaan said...

Dude!! Thats a word that I have never been able to associate myself with :) What plans can a not-so-dudish guy have!

Anonymous said...

No man! You still a dude at heart!! 'dude' it only means younger than what you think. So where's the party? 30 doesnt mean you are let off your treat!

Anonymous said...

Happy Bday! Belated though! So how did the 'not so dudish' guy celebrate?

Gup-shup dukaan said...

Oh I celebrated the "not-so-dudish" way itself. No dik chik music, no fancy party.. Just simple dinner with family, some shopping, some catching up with long lost friends and a good movie. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Holi! Wish you a colorful year ahead :)

Gup-shup dukaan said...

Thanks for the wishes. Wish you a good year ahead too