Monday, June 30, 2008

Are you sure?

These days I get more calls from banks/clubs/resorts/mutual funds than I get from my acquaintances. I wonder if there is a sign there. May be I will stop leaving my name at all these fancy lucky dips and feedback forms. Most of these phone calls, I politely say no to and then disconnect. However, sometimes curiosity gets the better of me and I start probing. 

Something similar happened the other day. I got a call from a resort in Goa and the lady on the other side asked me if I remembered that resort. I told her with so many resorts coming up everyday, its difficult to remember yours. She sounded disappointed. I think she would have hung up that minute had it not been for the "call-of-duty". She dutifully started asking me the regular questions after dangling the carrot that your name has come out in a lucky draw. If these resorts had their way, most of the population would win this "lucky-draw"! 

Coming back to her questions, the best moment in the conversation came after she had gone through the customary name (yeah they call you and ask you your name,imagine!), address, marital status etc. Then she asked me my age. I said 28. After a moment of silence (where she wondered why did I waste my time on this fool), she said this lucky draw is valid for people above 32. I said Oh!I think i missed the opportunity of my life. She then asked me a question which many people have asked me before but in different contexts. "Sir are you sure you are 28 and not 32?" 

So here I was being questioned on my age once again. Aray do people have a problem if I am young? Do I need to be 32 just because I need to look old in a business meeting or just because I have to win a 'lucky draw' of some resort! I protest. I am 28. And I am sure.

No comments: