Saturday, July 19, 2008

Papa I bought one too!

Yup, thats what adolescents will soon tell their parents. Papa, I bought one too. With our politico on sale I guess anyone can buy one. Move over fancy cars, posh bungalows, expensive watches and feature rich high-on-snob-value cell phones. The latest fad would soon be owning ones own neta!! 
I can see a time coming when the kids of the neo-rich would cry to own their personalized netas. Papa, I want the petroleum minister. My car guzzles too much fuel, I want the fuel cost reduced. Son of gangster would say "papa I want the convict MP. I have the other gang getting on my nerves. I want them eliminated." Like the recent land prices, the price of neta then will be decided by what he can deliver, how much tenure he has left in the parliament, will he win again or not and so on and so forth! We will have the value-for-money netas and we will have the high-on-snob-value netas. Because we would own the lawmakers, we would then become lawmakers too. The conversations that go "Hey, thats a cool phone. when did you buy that?" or "Hey thats a sexy car, where did you get it supped up?" would then change to "hey, you won that politician!  Man I like the way he throws the bench in the parliament" or "I also want that one, he is too good with making shitty policies" 
I had spoken about Politicians being bought and sold some time back too. But this is a completely new perspective. Futuristic, if I may add. Cynic, yes. Impossible, no. So which one are you going to buy??

2 comments:

awhan said...

Seems like you have not woken up from your deep slumber yet mate. Neta for sale is an old fad that is as old as the powerplay that exists in nature between the havenots and have alls. The paisaywallahs fun the neta's campaign and in return have laws passed protecting their own interests. Mere bhai jaago :P

Gup-shup dukaan said...

You are right awhan, Its an age old phenomenon. But it was never this ugly. The last time that all of it got so ugly was probably with Shibu Soren in the Narasimha Rao government.
The industrialists have always used the people in power to pass laws favouring them. However, it has never been so shamelessly played out in the open. Politics is dirty. But I see that it has achieved new lows.