Tuesday, September 2, 2008

August Slip!

I guess August was a dull month... Thats why i gave it a slip ;)
But September looks promising. At least the start of the month is nice. I have so many things to talk about... But i will start with one of my favourite topic - Women drivers. 
In one of my previous posts I had mentioned what a delight it is to watch women driving. Today I almost laughed my heart out while I was driving to office. A brand new Maruti swift was dancing away on the road. I could vaguely see that the driver had the seatbelt on. Zipping through the traffic as if its pants were on fire. And the most funny thing about it was its rear wiper was on, just wiping the dust off the boot I guess... By now I had put my bets. I was so sure this had to be a women. And voila! when I overtook the car, I noticed it a women driving the car, with its wipers on, seatbelt on (who wears seatbelt in B'lore?) and the tentative husband on the side. oh what a sight!
Well another thing that I wanted to speak about how uninformed our kids are these days. The country is facing major troubles in two states - J&K and Bihar. I guess most of my readers would know that. However, I was at a friends place last week and he had his nephew and his friends over for a birthday party. This guy must be 18 or something. After the cake was cut, the discussions were the usual. Music videos, cars, games etc. I just happened to ask one of them if they have heard anything on how devastated the populace of Bihar is and he pleaded ignorance. Then I realised none, absolutely none of his friends knew about it. Its sad, you know. I am appalled at this trend - these guys know their cars and funky games. They just don't know what's going on elsewhere in their country. Thats because they don't care. I guess the more urban a society, the more it is cut off from the rest of the country. 
I see our country's future in these guys and it doesn't look too bright!      

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you give August a slip or did August give you a slip??
Women's driving - That's so sexist! You are assuming that ALL women drive in that manner.
Kids - Depends on how the kids are raised...

Gup-shup dukaan said...

Hmm. Nope, I am not sexist, its a general observation. And made on a lighter note.
Kids - depends on how they are raised? Brilliant! Of course it depends on how they are raised. I write what i observe. I came across a bunch of kids like that, I wrote about them.

Anonymous said...

ooh sarcasm is your forte *laughs*
Ah yes, a light, general observation that betrays your prejudices.
Hmm you know, I could make fun of a Mal accent and hurt the sentiments of a quarter of the population, and that still wouldn't be right, even though done on a lighter note.
"I am appalled at this trend " - would be a generalization wouldn't it?

Gup-shup dukaan said...

Thanks for writing Tia!