Sunday, September 14, 2008

What's the big deal!!!

Yaar, koi mujhe ye nuclear deal samjha do.  I have read edits on this, have heard hordes of news channels talking about it, heard the politicians speak on it and heard it argued by the so-called experts. But all it has managed to do is further confuse me! 
Mota-moti what I have understood is that the 123 agreement, Hyde Act and the NSG waiver are three separate entities. Post the 1st nuclear test conducted under Indira Gandhi, the US and other NPT countries had imposed sanctions on India and we could not import nuclear fuel nor technology. Now with the NSG waiver, we have ended that sanctions and that we are free to import nuclear fuel and technology from 20 something nuclear states. With this waiver in place, the US will now pass theN-deal from the US congress which will enable India to also trade nuclear fuel and technology with the US as well. 
Thats my understanding. Will anyone now tell me what is the entire debate about and whether my understanding of it is on the right path?

No comments: